The Christmas Season is Bright at DPD
DPD's programs operate 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, including Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and Near Year's Eve.
"Throughout the Christmas season, the DPD staff team works tirelessly to provide loving care for the people who live in our group homes and supervised apartments. Our over 100 volunteers make a difference by contributing their time to bring smiles to the people in our programs. In addition, hundreds of generous donors give and/or purchase Christmas gifts for the people who we serve. It truly is the ‘most wonderful time of the year' for our Family," said DPD Executive Director, Scott Milliken.
During the Thanksgiving and Christmas Season numerous volunteers have made a difference in the lives of the people we serve. We will keep this list updated as more wonderful deeds are done.
Thank you everyone for their kindness and generosity!
- Thanksgiving Crafts were made by the Junior Woman's Club of Jefferson Township
- The St. Matthews Youth Group (Randolph) completed Thanksgiving crafts and played games with the individuals who live at DPD.
- A kind family from Jefferson Township purchased gifts for the individuals who live at Alexander House
- Christmas cards were sent to all of those who live at DPD by St. Mary's (Paterson) Rosary Society
- We hosted our Annual Kickoff to Christmas Party at St. Thomas the Apostle Church in Jefferson Township on December 2nd. 5 local families purchased presents for all of the individuals who live in our residential programs.
- Parsipanny #3680, General Judson Kilpatrick #5563 (Vernon), Marquette #588 (Sparta), St. Therese #6320 (Succasunna), Joseph F. Lamb #5510 (Jefferson Township) and Don Bosco #7784 (Newton) Knights of Columbus Councils purchased, gift wrapped and held gift-giving celebrations for 8 of DPD's residential programs.
- Volunteers from Primary Freight Services visited Murray House for a Christmas Dinner. The volunteers provided Christmas gifts for all 5 of the housemates, gave manicures and participated in arts and crafts. Thank you to longtime DPD volunteer Maureen Murray for her collaborative efforts.
- The Hanson Family and the DePaul Varsity Football Team held a Christmas Party for our Barnet and Fitzpatrick Houses. The Hanson's have been volunteers for our organization for over a decade.
- A generous individual donor and the Knights of Columbus Council from Sandyston (Monsignor Gacquin, 12974) gave a contribution for DPD to purchase Christmas gifts for a needy family being served by Support Coordination.
- Presents were purchased by the parishioners of St. John Vianney's parish in Stockholm for all of the individuals who live in our residential programs.
- Numerous individuals made contributions to the Beacon's (newspaper for the Diocese of Paterson) Annual Christmas Sharing Fund to purchase needed items in several group homes.
- DPD sold hundreds of boxes of Christmas cards. The boxes were assembled by individuals with disabilities and two of the card covers were designed by people who work at Gruenert Center.
- Numerous volunteers brought people who live at DPD to their homes for Thanksgiving and dinner and various Christmastime celebrations.
- The St. Thomas Children's Choir brought Christmas cheer to Alexander House by caroling outside of their home.
DPD Gives Back to Those in Need
- DPD's Fight for the Right Group held a gift drive for Deidre's House in Morristown. Deidre's House in the Center in Morris County for child victims of abuse/neglect. A representative from Deidre's House visited DPD on 12/4 to pick up the presents and make a presentation.
- DPD office staff set up a toy drive for a young child with autism living in poverty.
- DPD participated in the Jefferson Township Chamber of Commerce Food Drive with over 100lbs of food being donated to the New Hope Food Pantry in Jefferson Township
- DPD contributed food to Catholic Family and Community Services (CFCS). On November 2nd a fire damaged most of CFCS' Father English Food Pantry.
- In honor of their fall theme, "We Love Animals," Saturdays at the Center members made Christmas donations of food and toys to Animal Lifesavers Rescue group.